Thursday, April 29, 2010

13 Lines from The Raven

So, about two years ago I decided to memorize Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven, for no particular reason other than the fact that I really like the poem. So, I decided to post my 13 favorite, or random, "lines" (might take more than one) from the poem.

1. "Prophet!" said I. "Thing of evil, prophet still if bird or devil!"

2. "Whether Tempter sent or whether Tempest tossed thee here ashore, desolate, yet all undaunted, on this desert land enchanted on this home by horror haunted tell me, truly, I implore!"

3. And the silken, sad, uncertain rustling of each purple curtain thrilled me! Filled me with fantastic terror never felt before.

4. Deep into the darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

5. But the raven, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only that one word as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.

6. This and more I sat divining with my head at ease reclining on the velvet's violet lining that the lamplight pouring over. But whose violet velvet lighting she shall press, ah, nevermore.

7. Much I marveled this ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly, though it's answer little meaning, little relevancy bore, for we cannot help agreeing that no living human being ever yet was blessed with seeing bird above his chamber door.

8. Open here I flung the shutter when, with many a flirt and flutter, in there stepped a stately raven of the saintly days of yore.

9. Then, methought, the air grew denser perfumed by an unseen censor swung by Seraphim whose footfalls tinkled on the tufted floor

10. "Wretch!" I cried. "Thy God hath lent thee by these angels he hath sent thee!"

11. "Doubtless" said I. "What it utters is its only stock and store, caught from some unhappy master whom unmerciful disaster followed fast and followed faster 'til his song one burden bore. 'Til the dirges of his hope one melancholy burden bore of never, nevermore."

12. Not the least obeisance said he, not a minute stopped or stayed he. But, with mien of lord or lady, perched above my chamber door. Perched upon a bust of Pallas just above my chamber door. Perched and sat, and nothing more.

13. Darkness there, and nothing more.

1 comment:

  1. Powerful! I like how you end it, too, as though it's all a dream...

    ReplyDelete